When it comes to your business, your building is one of your most valuable assets. It provides shelter for your employees, storage for your materials and becomes the home of your operation. Based on the type of industry, the infrastructure of your business can have some distinct characteristics and requirements. However, one of the most important elements of your commercial building is the roof. There are a variety of roofing styles that can different buildings can utilize and while each can have unique issues, there are common problems that can plague any type of commercial roof.
Here are five common problems for commercial roofs:
- Blistering, splitting and erosion: This is a common problem for built-up roof systems (BUR), but is not uncommon for a single-ply roof either.
- Ponding water: In south Louisiana’s wet, tropical climate, this can be a major issue for any roof. Ponding is considered any amount of water sitting on the roof for more than 48 hours by the National Roofing Contractors Association. The initial concern with ponding water is water intrusion. However if this problem persists there could be much more significant structural damage.
- Leaks: As mentioned above leaks can stem from a number problems including: ponding water, wind damage, holes, missing shingles, etc. This can be especially damaging to your business as not only can interior damage occur, but machinery, products, materials and other assets can be damaged as well.
- Tenting, billowing, blow-offs: This is a major problem for single-ply roofs. The cause of blow-offs and billowing is from the roof not being properly adhered to the substrate.
- Insufficient maintenance: This problem can create a wide range of roof issues. Making seasonal checks or inspections after a storm can help identify many simple problems before they become major issues.
These are only a few problems that can impact your commercial building’s roof. It is important to recognize these and any other issues before they become expensive problems. It is also important to trust your roof to a local, proven, experience roofing contractor. For over 50 years Cribbs Incorporated has been helping Baton Rouge area home and business owners with their roofing and sheet metal needs.